Scott Hambrick is a home educating parent, entrepreneur, strength coach and the creator (Reader In Chief) of OnlineGreatBooks.com. He joins me today to discuss the Great Books of the Western World and the Great Conversation contained within, as well as tips on how we can improve our mental and physical strength.
What are the Great Books? What Is the Great Conversation?
- How was the collection created, criteria
- Syntopical organization vs chronological order
- Mortimer Adler's List over 500 books, goal: informed participation in a democracy
- shared inquiry model
- How to Read a Book
The Benefits of The Great Conversation
- diversity of ideas and presence of the clash of ideas
- "breaking the script" from parents, school, culture
- disciplines engagement in your own mind, and in the minds of others
- understand where we are now and why
- Many of the idea men behind the design of modern societies have read these books; some of them wrote these books
- understanding where we are now and why: a foundation for a discussion about where we could go
- The Story of Philosophy (Will Durant),
- Leonard Peikof's collection; through an ideological lens, I was dismissing a lot of people wholesale
Academic Opposition To The Great Books of the Western World
- What do these books still have tell us in the 21st century?
- Diversity of thought discouraged. Postmodern influence
- The Closing of the American Mind 1987
Online Great Books: The Program
- how it started
- how it works
- Building the habit of reading
- good faith interlocutors
Please Support School Sucks
We do cool things! Thanks to your support.
School Sucks is one of the longest running liberty-minded podcasts on the web, and the only one completely devoted to the issue of education (versus public school and college). Your support keeps the show going and growing, which keeps us at the top of the options for education podcasts and leads to new people discovering our work. Please help us continue to spread this important message further!
Thanks for visiting this page. Before you do anything, please bookmark and use this link for your Amazon shopping: Shop With Us
One-Time Donation Options:
Donate BITCOIN CASH
Support Us On PATREON
Help incentivize our production! Pledge $1 per content item and access dozens of Patron only audios and videos.
Join the A/V Club
If you're looking for more School Sucks content, the A/V Club option grants you access to a bonus content section with 400+ hours of exclusive audio and video. If you are a regular consumer of our media, please consider making a monthly commitment by selecting the best option for you...
|A/V Club - Basic Access - $8.00/Month||A/V Club - "Advanced" Access - $12.00/Month||Sigma Sigma Pi - "Privileged" Access - $16.00/Month|
BITCOIN CASH 1AmqLVxjw3Lp9KT5ckfvsqfN2Hn3B1hCWS