Sandra Dodd is a world-renown unschooling and natural learning advocate, and the mother of three adult unschooled children. Her website SandraDodd.com is one of the most comprehensive unschooling resources on the internet. She joins me for a fast-paced but fairly comprehensive discussion on unschooling and choice and her unschooling experiences, influences and philosophy.
From Public School Teaching To Unschooling
How did Sandra's revelations as a teacher help her embrace unschooling?
How Sandra was able able to take ownership over her classroom.
John Holt and others informed Sandra's approach to teaching
Unschoolers and Reading
Sandra share the stories of her three children learning to read, and how there might not always be clear incremental steps.
A Mindset For Unschooling
- "read a little, try a little, wait a while, watch" - patience
- what are we watching for?
- addressing problems a discomforts
- appreciation of choice and projecting optimism
- power-with, instead of power-over relationships, partnership
- beware of blindly "supportive" unschooling communities
- what's the problem with the word "education"
- navigating unschooling resources and making connections in the early 1990s
- Influences: John Holt and the school reform ideas of the 1960s and 1970s, laboratory "open classroom" schools under the supervision of universities and why the effort to insert this into public schools failed
Other Episodes On Unschooling
The Relationship Benefits of Unschooling – With Pam Laricchia [PODCAST #557]
[PODCAST] #550: Unschool Adventures – Blake Boles (Part 1)
[PODCAST] #101: Unschooling Liberty – The Halldorsons and the Unschool Bus
Please Support School Sucks
We do cool things! Thanks to your support.
School Sucks is one of the longest running liberty-minded podcasts on the web, and the only one completely devoted to the issue of education (versus public school and college). Your support keeps the show going and growing, which keeps us at the top of the options for education podcasts and leads to new people discovering our work. Please help us continue to spread this important message further!
Thanks for visiting this page. Before you do anything, please bookmark and use this link for your Amazon shopping: Shop With Us
One-Time Donation Options:
Support Us On PATREON
Help incentivize our production! Pledge $1 per content item and access dozens of Patron only audios and videos.
Join the A/V Club
If you're looking for more School Sucks content, the A/V Club option grants you access to a bonus content section with 400+ hours of exclusive audio and video. If you are a regular consumer of our media, please consider making a monthly commitment by selecting the best option for you...
|A/V Club - Basic Access - $8.00/Month||A/V Club - "Advanced" Access - $12.00/Month||Sigma Sigma Pi - "Privileged" Access - $16.00/Month|
BITCOIN CASH 1AmqLVxjw3Lp9KT5ckfvsqfN2Hn3B1hCWS