Part Two: Current Challenges For Community College Students
CJ Kilmer is a college history professor and the host of the acclaimed The Dangerous History Podcast.
A couple weeks ago CJ expressed some frustration about his teaching job on Facebook - it included the word "soul-crushing" - and I saw it as an opportunity to connect over similar experiences.
It's also an opportunity to share with you a long-form discussion on community college. The conversation is divided into two parts; in the previous show we covered the institutional problems and this installment will focus on current student and cultural challenges.
CJ has been teaching college history since 2006, so we're working with a sample size of several thousand students.
Community college students have become increasingly less prepared & competent over time
* More deficient in basic prerequisite skills & knowledge
* More deficient in terms of basic study skills
* More deficient in terms of work ethic & attitude
* More unrealistic in terms of expectations
* Less curious about things in general
* We expand this to national trends
Technology and social media's negative impacts on this generation of college students
* CJ's current students were mostly born around 2000 and have grown up with smart phones, social media, etc; students when he started were born around 1990 and didn't get those things until they were adolescents or older.
* The "Zombification" Of America Accelerates? - 45% Of Teens Are Online "Almost Constantly"
* PEW: 45% describe social media a having a neutral effect; they don't even notice the effects
* how are teens using the internet? PEW: 31% regard the tech as a positive force, 5% of that 31% say the use it for support, and 4% 0of that 31% say the use it for learn new things
The misguided drive to increase community college enrollment
* what if everyone qualified is already being served? Then the only way to increase enrollment is by bringing in the unqualified; the result is ultimately to cause more harm to them & to society
Please Support School Sucks
We do cool things! Thanks to your support.
School Sucks is one of the longest running liberty-minded podcasts on the web, and the only one completely devoted to the issue of education (versus public school and college). Your support keeps the show going and growing, which keeps us at the top of the options for education podcasts and leads to new people discovering our work. Please help us continue to spread this important message further!
Before you do anything, please bookmark and use this link for your Amazon shopping: Shop With Us
One-Time Donation Options:
Access our personal development bonus show, The Discomfort Zone, and lots of other irreverent and acerbic commentary you've never heard before.
Support Us On PATREON
Help incentivize our production! Pledge $1 per content item and access dozens of Patron only audios and videos.
Join the A/V Club
If you're looking for more School Sucks content, the A/V Club option grants you access to a bonus content section with 400+ hours of exclusive audio and video. If you are a regular consumer of our media, please consider making a monthly commitment by selecting the best option for you...
|A/V Club - Basic Access - $8.00/Month||A/V Club - "Advanced" Access - $12.00/Month||Sigma Sigma Pi - "Privileged" Access - $16.00/Month|
BITCOIN CASH 1AmqLVxjw3Lp9KT5ckfvsqfN2Hn3B1hCWS