Australian researcher Nick Ulbrick, aka "The Transcendental Tangent General" joins me for another long-form conversation on the topic of "conspiracy theories," which he refers to as "conspiracy narratives." Nick has worked in the university system as a Teacher’s Assistant (called Tutor in Victoria). In the past, he was an artist liaison at major music festivals and has also made 10 feature length documentaries following the Australian Motorsports scene (which can be found at www.hpheaven.com.au). His interest in alternative media was fostered through the works of Tragedy and Hope, James Corbett and School Sucks.
In this first installment of three, we talk about
- Nick's Masters Degree (Master of Arts) from Monash University, where he studied the role of conspiracy narratives in contemporary society. Much of his work used qualitative research methods and focused on interviewing people in and around Melbourne who engage or disengage with conspiracy narratives.
- Why Conspiracy Theories?
- Nick's interests in this topic stem out of film and television (he wrote his honours thesis on the Coen brothers) and in particular the nexus between Oliver Stone’s films: Wall Street and Wall Street Money Never
Sleeps, with the Savings and Loans Crisis of the 1989 and the Global Financial Crisis (or the Mortgage Crisis) of 2008
- What is a conspiracy theory?
- What are the implications of using that term?
- An Apollo 11 hoax tangent or two
- Cognitive shifts and breaking out of "story"
CIA Document 1035-960: Concerning Criticism of the Warren Report - http://www.jfklancer.com/CIA.html
Foundation of a Weaponized Term - http://memoryholeblog.com/2013/01/20/cia-document-1035-960-foundation-of-a-weaponized-term/
Deaths of People Connected to the JFK Assassination - http://www.assassinationresearch.com/v1n2/deaths.html
Operation Mockingbird - http://spartacus-educational.com/JFKmockingbird.htm
Please Support School Sucks
Our Amazon Wish List
Donate With Bitcoin
Or Join the A/V Club
Your continued support keeps the show going and growing, which keeps us at the top of the options for education podcasts and leads to new people discovering this message. This subscription also grants you access to the A/V Club, a bonus content section with 200+ hours of exclusive audio and video. If you are a regular consumer of our media, please consider making a monthly commitment by selecting the best option for you...