An Introduction To Integral Spirituality, With Wes Bertrand
We know there are some tough topics here. Today we ask you to listen with an awareness of something that feels unsolved, unhealed, or with access to a painful memory that had great impact.
WAS IS SPIRITUALITY?
* Nathaniel Branden - raising the level of your consciousness to reality
* practical and grounded (Jeff Brown)
* transcending, not bypassing
* Inhabiting the wound
So what is the wound?
Panel with Alanis, Peter Levine, Gabor Maté, Richard Schwartz and Dan Siegel.
WHAT IS Trauma?
* Alanis - keeps us from living from our essential selves
* Richard - impact, not event, vulnerable parts get hurt and locked away
* Peter - when we can't return to our previous state, breech in our protective barrier
* Gabor - physical manifestations
* Dan - sustained attacks on the capacity to integrate
* unsolved trauma leads to impaired integration
* chaos and rigidity in the body, in relationships
* epistemic trust breaks down
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE BODY?
"The truth about our childhood is stored up in our body, and although we can repress it, we can never alter it. Our intellect can be deceived, our feelings manipulated, and conceptions confused, and our body tricked with medication. But someday our body will present its bill, for it is as incorruptible as a child, who, still whole in spirit, will accept no compromises or excuses, and it will not stop tormenting us until we stop evading the truth.” ― Alice Miller
Somatic Experiencing: When people are willing to learn from the body, they can use this to prevent further outbreaks
HOW DO YOU HEAL TRAUMA?
Alanis - therapy, movement, empathetic listener, creation,
Richard - honoring protective parts, listening to them, parts frozen in time, dealing withe abuser for the child and taking the child to a comfortable place
Gabor - healing is integration. Healing is wholeness. healing is softening that compassion can bring
Dan - path to healing is integrative
GROUNDED SPIRITUALITY - JEFF BROWN
- primary cause of our anxiety is not our thoughts, not the monkey mind; that's just the symptom
- shifting out of unhappiness is not a cerebral process. It's full body
- spirituality means reality
"Acka Raga" Shocking Blue
"I'm Not Alone" Widespread Panic
"What's It Like" Sure Sure
Integral theory is largely focused on consciousness studies, psychology, research supported spirituality, and social sciences. Ken Wilber and other integral theorists draw from over 100 separate schools of thought in the fields of consciousness, psychology, meditative traditions, philosophy and sociology.
In this series we'll explain the Integral approach to:
* An Integral Approach to Politics
* Evolution and the 4 Quadrants of reality
* The Stages of Development
* The Lines of Development
* The States of Consciousness (discussed today)
* Types of Personality (discussed today)
The downloadable version of The Ideas Into Action Summit is now available.
Visit sspuniversity.com/ideasintoaction to learn more about the presenters, topics, bonus materials and encore presentation.
Please Support School Sucks
We do cool things! Thanks to your support.
School Sucks is one of the longest running liberty-minded podcasts on the web, and the only one completely devoted to the issue of education (versus public school and college). Your support keeps the show going and growing, which keeps us at the top of the options for education podcasts and leads to new people discovering our work. Please help us continue to spread this important message further!
Before you do anything, please bookmark and use this link for your Amazon shopping: Shop With Us
One-Time Donation Options:
Access our personal development bonus show, The Discomfort Zone, and lots of other irreverent and acerbic commentary you've never heard before.
Support Us On PATREON
Help incentivize our production! Pledge $1 per content item and access dozens of Patron only audios and videos.
Join the A/V Club
If you're looking for more School Sucks content, the A/V Club option grants you access to a bonus content section with 400+ hours of exclusive audio and video. If you are a regular consumer of our media, please consider making a monthly commitment by selecting the best option for you...
|A/V Club - Basic Access - $8.00/Month||A/V Club - "Advanced" Access - $12.00/Month||Sigma Sigma Pi - "Privileged" Access - $16.00/Month|
BITCOIN CASH 1AmqLVxjw3Lp9KT5ckfvsqfN2Hn3B1hCWS