(Part Two of Two) Zak Slayback returns for a marathon discussion on how to set and make progress towards meaningful personal and professional goals. Recorded April 9th in Pittsburgh, PA in the studio of good friend Andrew Mercer. I was really happy Andrew joined us; he added some great stories and thoughtful questions related to his own productivity journey. The first conversation focused on deschooling - how to unlearn and discard certain limiting beliefs that interfere with professional success and fulfillment. Today we go into detail on how to find your focus with "Ambition Mapping" - Zak's process for goal setting.
- Being busy vs. being productive: what is the highest priority?
- Andrew's productivity quest, Getting Things Done
- Know what you're looking for; identifying specific outcomes
- Building connections between visions and tasks
If you had a map to navigate a labyrinth, you know you should trace your way backwards based on your destination. You adjust your path based on where you start relative to where you want to go. People know this when playing a game and know it in general when choosing a career (i.e., if I want to be a doctor, I should go to medical school) but rarely re-examine their path using this through their careers.
This process of regularly looking at where you want to go, evaluating where you’re starting, and working backwards from the destination to where you are now is what I call ambition mapping. - Zak Slayback
- Built off Nathaniel Branden's sentence stems
- What does it mean to esteem oneself?
- Defining "progress" and "meaningful goals"
- Ambition mapping is a three-phase writing process
1. Day One: Via Negativa - Identify what you don't want
2. Day Two: Via Positiva - Identify what you DO want
3. Day Three: Review Stems from the previous 2 days and find the intersection between the two. Research what fits in the intersection. Build the ambition map: the path from where you want to go back to where you are.
[PODCAST] #401: Setting and Achieving Goals (1 of 2) – Attitudes, Obstacles and Mistakes
[PODCAST] #402: Setting and Achieving Goals (2 of 2) – Ten Tips For Success
[PODCAST] #454: Building A Credential Better Than the College Degree, With Zak Slayback
Please Support School Sucks
We do cool things! Thanks to your support.
School Sucks is one of the longest running liberty-minded podcasts on the web, and the only one completely devoted to the issue of education (versus public school and college). Your support keeps the show going and growing, which keeps us at the top of the options for education podcasts and leads to new people discovering our work. Please help us continue to spread this important message further!
Thanks for visiting this page. Before you do anything, please bookmark and use this link for your Amazon shopping: Shop With Us
One-Time Donation Options:
Support Us On PATREON
Help incentivize our production! Pledge $1 per content item and access dozens of Patron only audios and videos.
Join the A/V Club
If you're looking for more School Sucks content, the A/V Club option grants you access to a bonus content section with 400+ hours of exclusive audio and video. If you are a regular consumer of our media, please consider making a monthly commitment by selecting the best option for you...
|A/V Club - Basic Access - $8.00/Month||A/V Club - "Advanced" Access - $12.00/Month||Sigma Sigma Pi - "Privileged" Access - $16.00/Month|
BITCOIN CASH 1AmqLVxjw3Lp9KT5ckfvsqfN2Hn3B1hCWS