Brian Sovryn and I discuss the popular canard - perpetuated by media, TED talkers and the "public schools just need more money" crowd - that new technology can revolutionize education inside public schools. So far, studies don't back this idea.
And neither do we.
Jump to the 35:00 mark to hear the topic in the title discussed.
- Public Schools are currently trying to co-opt the thing that will ultimately destroy them
- Those trying to save the system like to tell two stories, while discarding all the important lessons from them
1. Sugata Mitra and the "Hole-In-the-Wall Experiment"
2. One laptop Per Child successes in Ethiopia
- Addressing a series of myths about the impact of new technology in public school
- Some alarming facts about the educational book industry
Sovryn Tech Podcast - https://soundcloud.com/sovryntech
Brian's Site: ZOG.ninja - https://zog.ninja
Technology doesn't make school pupils smarter, study says - http://phys.org/news/2015-09-technology-doesnt-school-pupils-smarter.html
Please Support School Sucks
Your continued support keeps the show going and growing, which keeps us at the top of the options for education podcasts and leads to new people discovering this message. This subscription also grants you access to the A/V Club, a bonus content section with 200+ hours of exclusive audio and video.
If you are a regular consumer of our media, please consider making a monthly commitment by selecting the best option for you...
|A/V Club - Basic Access - $8.00/Month||AP Club - "Advanced" Access - $12.00/Month||Sigma Sigma Pi - Full Access - $16.00/Month|