In gaining an understanding of the memory system, it is important to recognize that memory functions are happening throughout several distant but interconnected regions of the brain. In this two part episode, we'll tour the parts of the brain at work in the memory process, starting from the front and working backwards.
As each function is described, you can decide where you feel there might be room for improvement.
The Memory Process In A Nutshell
1. external events occur
2. Stimuli encounters the 5 senses
3. Senses transport data to the working memory - holding area
4. central processor - controls how much attention is given to the contents of the working memory
5. Long-term memory - data stored and potentially available for recall
- the part of the brain most involved with our memory
- Movement is essential for a healthy hippocampus and enhanced levels of memory consolidation
- The cerebellum constitutes just 10 percent of the total volume of the brain but amazingly it contains over 50 percent of the neurons in the entire human brain.
- The cerebellum modifies and adapts movement patterns to improve coordination and balance
A list of reliable online memory assessments:
University of Washington Short-Term Memory Test
MemTrax Memory Test
Psychology Today Memory Test
Rutgers University Memory Self-Tests (verbal and Visual)
Ohio State University Self-Administered Gerocognitive Examination (SAGE)
You can use this comprehensive assessment from Douglas Herrmann's book Super Memory.
REMINISCING - The Little River Band
Please Support School Sucks
Our Amazon Wish List
Donate With Bitcoin
Or Join the A/V Club
Your continued support keeps the show going and growing, which keeps us at the top of the options for education podcasts and leads to new people discovering this message. This subscription also grants you access to the A/V Club, a bonus content section with 200+ hours of exclusive audio and video.
If you are a regular consumer of our media, please consider making a monthly commitment by selecting the best option for you...
|A/V Club - Basic Access - $8.00/Month||AP Club - "Advanced" Access - $12.00/Month||Sigma Sigma Pi - Full Access - $16.00/Month|