Podcast Listeners

Trivium Study and Knowledge Integration (2 posts)

• Profile picture of Lawrence Lawrence said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Hey everyone. I started a little experiment a week ago and I thought it would be fun to share what I’m doing.

Brett has talked about schools compartmentalizing knowlege into subjects without teaching how that knowledge relates to other things. That got me thinking on how I can better organize and integrate everything I’m studying.

The solution I came up with is to build a personal knowledge wiki (think Wikipedia). I googled ‘free wiki software’ and, after a little research, downloaded and installed Zim Desktop Wiki (there are many other options available). From there I started creating a hierarchy of topics (for example: (1) Liberal Arts/Trivium/Logic/Peikoff-Introduction to Logic/Logical Fallacies/Argumentum Ad Verecundiam (2) Liberal Arts/Trivium/Grammar/Nesfield-Outline of English Grammar/The Parsing of Nouns) and started plugging in my notes.

The knowledge integration comes from creating hyperlinks from one article to another…say ‘The Ten Categories of Being’ from Joseph’s Trivium book to ‘Forms and Kinds of Adjectives’ from Nesfield. I’ve had a lot of fun to thinking about how each topic relates to others and creating the hyperlinks between them. It’s also nice to have all my notes stored in one place.

These are the Trivium related materials I’m currently working from:

-Sister Miriam Joseph-The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric
    -J.C. Nesfield-Outline of English Grammar
    -Aristotle-Poetics and Rhetoric

Leonard Peikoff-Introduction to Logic
    Leonard Peikoff-Principles of Grammar

I’m curious to hear about any study methods other listeners are using!

• Profile picture of Jonathan Jonathan said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Lawrence,this is an excellent idea