Podcast Listeners

Topic Suggestions (26 posts)

• Profile picture of Brett Veinotte Brett Veinotte said 5 years, 2 months ago:

What haven’t we covered yet? What haven’t we covered enough?

• Profile picture of Sarah Wassinger Sarah Wassinger said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I really think Lenore Skenazy would be a great guest. Also, Penelope Trunk isxa new unschooled and she has a great blog.

• Profile picture of Andi Andi said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Have you covered Gordon Neufelds theories on peers? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Neufeld

• Profile picture of Keegan Ead Keegan Ead said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I think more episodes investigating different alternative education models. You’ve had some shows about unschooling, and like the unschool bus, as well as a few other models have come up. And as I think you’ve said; There could be as many different models for education as there are students wanting to learn.

A lot of the other stuff has been covered really well; a lot of the bad stuff, the stuff that is all messed up.

It might be cool to feature some guests, or entertain/explore some ideas that might really resonate with students and parents looking for homeschool options/solutions. And make that a regular part of the show.

• Profile picture of The Uncivilized The Uncivilized said 5 years, 2 months ago:

While I’ve listened to every school sucks podcast to date, I can’t remember if ever there was an episode or conversation devoted specifically to mentoring. It certainly has been touched on and covered in the stories Brett tells of his tutoring and other experiences with children, but I would like to see some more discussion on education models that revolve around learning to become a lifelong mentor, not just to your own children but any and all people you come in contact with, through the way you interact with them, feel out what their needs are and attempt to meet those needs, even in short or brief encounters. I believe that this is a world changing idea for both children and the society they will enter and then help create/change.

This has been coming up a lot in my life as of late. I have no children, yet, but most of my friends do. I’ve embarked on a journey to discover how to be the best guide that I can be to any child, not just my own, in which John Gatto has played a major role, among others. I’ve noticed that the way most of them speak to me when parenting or child development comes up in conversation is dismissive, insulting, and downright ignorant. It always comes down to the phrase “You wouldn’t understand, you don’t have kids” and the fall back phrase “I turned out alright” (the second usually in relation to carrots and sticks). And while I agree that the parent-child relationship is unique, I disagree that non-parents are void of insight into such relationships. The conversation usually ends when I point out that there are millions of horrible parents in the world, so being a parent is not the only criteria for being a good parent and knowing what is best for a child, or anyone for that matter.

If the conversation gets past that point, I remind them that I was a child, grew up with other children, have a large family where I had the benefit of observing dozens of parenting models, as well as the fact that I have in my past been given the responsibility of caring for children in the short and long periods of time when they are free from the restrictions of a parent-child relationship. This includes teaching swimming lessons, aquatic life saving skills, health and safety, water safety, canoe/kayak skills (singles and teams), and hockey just to name a few, but these all included personal responsibility, social interactions and general awareness and observations of ones surroundings, which I see as important lessons hidden inside the activities taking place. All places where I can insert ideas whilst not claiming authority or restricting freedom.

Some of my fondest memories are from times when I was able to interact with a child (not as an authority, but as a guide in some activity), figure out his/her needs and meet them in a way that had a maximum benefit to the child or young adult, while also being fun. The first time this concept entered my mind was when I was listening to Jan Irvin of GnosticMedia.com interview Gene Odening on the Trivium and his experience with his mentor(s), few that they were. Until that time I hadn’t considered what my life experiences (adult and child) were or what they meant to me or those I interacted with.

I would just really like to see more discussion of this type of person (child) to person (adult) interaction in a more formal and directed context in the podcast, as I feel that most people and especially parents could benefit from incorporating this idea into their lives. I plan to seek out similarly minded people to help in the guiding of my children, when I have some. Brett, you are more than welcome to join the team.

Babbling complete.

• Profile picture of Aaron Aaron said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I like Keegan’s idea. It’s always easier to point out the flaws in another solution than to present an alternative. Having guests on with alternative, more peaceful methods of education and discussing the pros and cons of those strategies would be interesting.

I actually just listened to the episode with the alekese guys for the first time a few days ago. I don’t think that quite panned out, but it was at least a different approach. More like that would be interesting.

• Profile picture of padraig padraig said 5 years, 2 months ago:

i’d request more from the slightly gay prussian philosopher, and also from roosevelt sounding slightly jfk’ish. …..and, more seriously, i’d like discussion on unionism. i’m struggling with why it’s anti-freedom as it passes my test of ‘is it voluntary’. interested to hear views on this topic. with the 2 characters above of course

• Profile picture of Erik Erik said 5 years, 2 months ago:

The pros and cons of Ken Wilber’s “Integral Model” in relation to education.

The pros and cons of “California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS)” approach to education.

Brett’s summary of what a realistic and effective educational model could look like in America (by “realistic” I mean what we are actually capable of accomplishing if the current academic tyrants were somehow removed). In other words, what Brett would consider an “A+ model” if the education system had unlimited funding and support.

A sane approach to a few controversial topics like 911, the NDAA act, the Patriot Act, the war on drugs, the national deficit, Wall Street, Fox News and/or mainstream media in general, the salaries of pro athletes, etc.

What is the ego?

Sam Harris as a guest and/or a review of his books.

Henrik Palmgrin of “Red Ice Radio” discussing the school system in Sweden.

Joseph P Farrell

Graham Hancock

The math of Marco Rodin

I am fairly new so if you have covered some of the ideas I just listed, I will look forward to checking them out in the future (I plan on listening to every one of your podcasts eventually).
    I really like what you guys are doing and will continue to listen on a regular basis.

• Profile picture of Mike Huttner Mike Huttner said 5 years, 2 months ago:

The predictive/experimental method of Science which we are taught is nowhere NEAR the whole story, Brett. I think it would be extremely beneficial for your listeners to devote a show to teaching the EXPLANATORY (rational) Scientific Method.

I outlined the methodology in the group I started called, “Rational Science” as a starter to understand the difference b/t explanatory Science and predictions/experimentation. I would suggest that as a starting place to get acquainted with these new ideas.

After that I would urge you to check out Bill Gaede’s youtube channel, where critiques the irrational (ambiguous) definitions commonly used by those in Mathematical Physics, debunking Quantum Mechanics, General and Special Relativity, and String Theory.
    Did you ever take math?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFu5BlJClYI
    Critiquing the math definition of the term “point” :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSJjs4l_FHU
    Dimension: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q9IePuHut4
    and Length: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFeZf0KOzuM

But he’s not all humbug! Gaede also proposes a rational hypothesis called the Rope Hypothesis to actually explain phenomena of the Physical Universe.
    The Rope Hypothesis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mruRQL6mfk8

Let’s put an end to the irrational Scientific Method taught to us in public schools, Brett!

• Profile picture of padraig padraig said 5 years, 2 months ago:

i’m thinking….. german philosopher. apres kant…..he kinda liked him tho….. copied him a wee tiny bit…….. in a bromance sorta way………. bring him back!!!!!!! haha. hey what about a walk down the global warming/climate being wreaked by you fuck ups path? now here’s a bag and a bulb and some guilt. why exactly were you setting off nukes in the sky and the sea and the desert? spilling oil all over the place? dirty dirty human? my gf’s niece is going thru some trauma about the world/climate and i’ve tried to reassure her but her parents keep telling her i’m loopy. and her teachers of course. i’ve offered to attend and offer a view as to the constant temp fluctuations throughout history (herstory)(wow i’m sensitive). but to no avail.

• Profile picture of Meredith Meredith said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Here is a story that goes along with the man who shot his daughter’s laptop and those parents that made their daughter stand on the street corner with a sign: http://networkedblogs.com/GNbhE

The last teacher I talked to said that she thinks cell phones cause kids to be rude and unfocused. Also, there are huge signs all over the campus of the school that my daughter would attend, were she not home-schooled, stating that any person (adult or child) that uses a cell phone in any way, anywhere on school grounds (inside or outside) is breaking the law and will be punished accordingly. Personally, I think cell phones are a great learning tool that equips kids for the world they will live in as adults.

Might be worth a segment on the show.

• Profile picture of Meredith Meredith said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Also, James Corbett might be a good guest for the show. Here is a recent podcast where he talks about the history of education: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QOPyJ1-VRQ

He was an elementary school teacher in Japan. It would be interesting to hear some of the similarities and differences between the systems in Japan and the US.

• Profile picture of Brett Veinotte Brett Veinotte said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I’m listening to the Corbett show now. I would love to have him on soon.

• Profile picture of DB DB said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I’d just like to say congrats on getting the site back up and good luck on future podcasts. Don’t have anything in particular I think you should cover.

Just avoid that nutcase Bill Gaede unlike what Mike Huttner recommends. Sorry Mike but he’s off his rocker. I replied to your post on spacetime with a few points that barely scratch the surface. I’m now convinced that he is maliciously propagating nonsense.

Just because he gets a few things right here or there is no reason to follow him all the way with his conclusions. I suggest you get educated with the opposing viewpoint before you take the claims he makes about the supposed errors and contradictions in conventional, mainstream physics seriously.

• Profile picture of Drea Drea said 5 years, 2 months ago:

what about a show on the mayan calender 2012 bs? Maybe a logic saves lives episode?