Home- Educators

Introductions, anyone? (13 posts)

• Profile picture of Sam Sam said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Where do you live? How old is/are your kid(s)? What, if any, method(s) of homeschooling are you using or planning on using? And… any other relevant information you can think of.

I guess I’ll start.

I have a son who will be 4 in March and a second son who will be born around the same time. We live in Portland, OR. For us, homeschooling seems to work best if we get out of the house as much as possible. The pregnancy has made it hard for me to do that as much as I want to, so after much hemming and hawing and I decided to send my son to preschool. Luckily, here in Portland is was not difficult to find an awesome preschool. It’s run by one woman who uses a mix of waldorf and montesorri. She takes a maximum of 6 kids, and right now she has anywhere from 2 to 5 depending on the day. While I was initially pretty against the idea of sending him to any kind of school at all, I’m really glad I did. His teacher does a better job of teaching him than I am able to, and I’m learning a lot along the way too. My only worry now is that he loves it so much he’s going to want to keep going to school. My plan is for him to keep going until he turns 5 and then to home school full time. So anyway, for now he’s doing that for a few hours in the morning 3 days a week and we spend the rest of our time at the children’s museum, the community center, meetups with other homeschoolers in the area, or at home reading books and making messes and stuff. I like the way things are going now and I hope we never need to use any kind of curriculum. With how curious my son is now, I could just sit around all day answering his questions and looking up stuff he’s interested in on the internet and he’d be learning a ton. My hope is that he’ll always be this curious. If that’s the case, homeschooling should be pretty easy. But I really don’t know since I’ve never done this before!

• Profile picture of Tim Tim said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I live in Mesa, Arizona and have twin boys who are 23 months old. My wife and I are discussing education options. We have been looking into different schools, types of schools, home schooling groups and other education options since before they were born and have yet to come to any kind of decision. I guess that is okay since they are fairly far from a school age and can not yet give us their opinion. I joined this group because I still consider myself a home educator. My sons and I teach each other new things every day, and every day I am so amazed at what we can learn from each other.

• Profile picture of Drea Drea said 4 years, 11 months ago:

I have three children, a 9 year old, a 6 year old and a 1 year old. We live in northern bc canada. I have home educated them for their entire lives. I did a curriculum with my oldest for the first couple years but grew tired of being told what to teach. Since then, she has been “unschooled”
    I love how kids just want to learn. I was worried because my daughter hated doing bookwork, and it took her awhile to get into reading, but now she loves it! I let her go at her own pace, I encouraged but didn’t push, I didn’t even know how far she had progressed until she told me she wanted to read to me. I am amazed at how smart my kids are, they surprise me all the time. They can add large numbers in their heads and their logic stuns me. I teach them things when the mood strikes or they seem interested. I answer their questions when they ask. They listen to lots of audiobooks, and we read to them everyday. My husband and I both love to learn, so we are modeling that behavior to them. My older daughter also teaches her younger sister, she taught her to write her name at 4 years old and has helped her to learn to read. The other day my oldest told me she wanted to learn cursive, so we did a lesson. She picked up on it after one lesson and now fondly practices her handwriting. I have been tempted to go back to a curriculum, but only because you get funding that way, and it would help pay for sports and such, but I love the organic way learning happens when there is no pressure. It is so much more fun!

• Profile picture of Drea Drea said 4 years, 11 months ago:

We have very little community here so I am basically on my own. Most of the people here that homeschool are religious and we are not so we dont spend a lot of time together.

• Profile picture of Zachary Fisk Zachary Fisk said 4 years, 9 months ago:

We have a one daughter age 9, and live in CT. We’ve been taking a hands off approach, but she did take a reading course. I was just introduced to the Robinson curriculum and want to investigate more. Anyone look at this curriculum and have comments?

• Profile picture of Sarah Wassinger Sarah Wassinger said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Hi, I’m outside of Chicago, IL. I have a 17 year old that left school freshman year. She just graduated from cosmetology school and has found a great job in an upscale salon. She’s very happy to have a head start on her dreams. My son is 13 and he left school in 5th grade. He loves science and he is really into Minecraft right now. My youngest daughter is 9 and left school in 1st grade. She is very active and is happiest when she is dancing, running, riding her bike. She also loves Minecraft. I am really enjoying our freedom and our togetherness. I think unschooling has brought us closer together than ever.

• Profile picture of Andi Andi said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Hey! We have one son (3), one daughter (5 days) and two missed abortions (7th and 11th week). I say that, because whenever it comes to family issues people often prejudge the competence for pedagogy (or anti-pedagogy) by the number of children one has and not by the number of weeks spend critically thinking through ones own school attendance. Aren’t home-schoolers said to live in an extended family with three or more children?

We live in the middle of former prussia, the city of Berlin and I’m pretty much in the process of deschooling my family and friends (or the other way around: defriending supporters of school 😉 ).

If you like, you’ll find some more about me in the process at http://schoolsucksproject.com/community/groups/home-educators-71494886/forum/topic/multilingual-german-deschoolersunschoolers/

• Profile picture of James Flood James Flood said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Hi! I’m Jim, and I have a 11 year-old step-daughter, and we still send her into the meatgrinder every day. Well, I drop her off at the meatgrinder. It’s currently my goal to immunize her against the crap she listens to on a daily basis. I am very watchful of the homework she is taught, but living in New York is a very large hindrance. My friend’s wife homeschooled his 3 children, but they all needed to take the same tests as the public school kids did. Plus his employment/financial circumstances are far different from my own. Perhaps, when I get a job, or my wife gets a promotion, pulling out of school might become a viable options.

So, if the choice is being part of the problem or part of the solution, I’m still part of the problem.

• Profile picture of Lynn Lynn said 4 years, 4 months ago:

I am a grandmother and am enjoying watching my 6 yr. old granddaughter and 18 mo. old grandson explore the world. When my children were growing up and attending public school, my husband and I augmented their experiences and took an active part in teaching them through activities. They are both intelligent people, having read classics in jr. high that most adults have never read. The amazing thing is that they were never told to read them and did it on their own. They are lifelong learners like my husband and myself.
    I am at a point in life that I want to give back to others and hope to support homeschoolers with resources so this group of people can just ignore the systems that oppress them. It will hopefully result in those systems’ demise.

• Profile picture of patricksmangan patricksmangan said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Hi, I’m in Washington state, 24, no kids, but would like to learn the best ways to raise them if I ever have any, so I find this podcast to be a fresh & new perspective on that topic.

I probably won’t be on the full website often as I’m usually online on my iPhone, but I have a proposition. As I prefer to use mobile sites or apps on my phone, I think it’d be cool if everyone here who has a Facebook coopts the largest “school sucks” fb group. I prefer groups to pages because anything anyone posts in a group will show up in my news feed, so it’s great for fans to share ideas & articles with each other. We can also share our ideas with the largest group we can find & steer them towards this website and podcast for answers to the problem of school, instead of just bitching. I requested to join this one https://m.facebook.com/groups/231275390230150?__user=1066058343 cause it’s the largest I saw with over 400 members. What do you guys think, good idea?

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Hello everyone,

Perhaps we could contribute together a reading list that our children found interesting and spark some discussion on the group?

My kids are almost done with High School. They haven’t been as interested in reading as I was as a child though my son enjoys Science Fiction and some non-fiction.

Of late, my son read “None Dare Call It Conspiracy” as a school assignment and he and I have shared quite a few hours of discussion and a bit of analysis. He and I have agreed to a year or two of self-study before he goes to University. As part of that I have accumulated more books than either he or I could possibly finish in a year or two.

Since he expressed an interested in learning about different religions around the world, I’ve recommended all of the books by Karen Armstrong since they do a reasonably good job exposing ideas of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. I’m also referring another book that does a wider survey.

As far as Philosophy, I’m recommending the essential works of Plato and Aristotle, but I’m also supplementing that with a series of podcasts from King’s College London called “The History of Philosophy without gaps.” It goes from pre-socratics to modern Philosophy.

There is a wealth of really good stuff out there that can allow kids to dip their toes and get a feel for the questions and skills you need to be a critical thinker.

• Profile picture of Jeff Jeff said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Hi everyone,

My wife is pregnant with our first child. We plan on using the Unschooling stategies to fascilitate our child’s education.

I think the School Sucks Project website is a great resource. And I think that togeter, we can make it even better. I messaged Brett with an idea, and volunteered to help adminstrate the group.

I look forward to shareing and implementing some of these ideas when I get back from my vacation in a couple weeks.

• Profile picture of Erin Counts Erin Counts said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hi, everyone. I’m a homeschooling mama to 3 kids-age 11, 6, and 3 yrs old. We have always been homeschoolers. I was homeschooled as a kid myself, mercifully, from middle school thru graduation. I look forward to getting to know some other homeschooling school sucks project listening folks!
    Love the show!